Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HTMA) is an analytical test which measures the mineral content of the hair.
Hair is an ideal tissue for sampling and testing. First, it can be cut easily and painlessly, and can be sent to our lab without special handling requirements. Second, clinical results have shown that a properly obtained sample can give an indication of mineral status and toxic metal accumulation following long term or even acute exposure.
A HTMA reveals a unique metabolic world: intracellular activity, which cannot be seen through most other tests.
WHY TEST FOR MINERALS?
Trace minerals are essential in countless metabolic functions in all phases of the life process.
- Zinc is involved in the production, storage and secretion of insulin and is necessary for growth hormones.
- Magnesium is required for normal muscular function, especially the heart. A deficiency has been associated with an increased incidence of abnormal heart conditions, anxiety and nervousness.
- Potassium is critical for normal nutrient transport into the cell. A deficiency can result in muscular weakness, mild depression and lethargy.
- Excess sodium is associated with hypertension, but adequate amounts are required for normal health.
WHAT CAN CAUSE A MINERAL IMBALANCE?
There are many factors to take into consideration, such as:
DIET – Improper diet through high intake of refined and processed foods, alcohol and fad diets can all lead to a chemical imbalance. Even the nutrient content of a “healthy” diet can be inadequate, depending upon the soil in which the food was grown or the method in which it was prepared.
STRESS – Physical or emotional stress can deplete the body of many nutrients while also reducing the capability to absorb and utilize many nutrients.
MEDICATIONS – Both prescription and over-the-counter medications can deplete the body stores of nutrient minerals and/or increase the levels of toxic metals. These medications include diuretics, antacids, aspirin and oral contraceptives.
POLLUTION – From adolescence through adulthood the average person is continually exposed to a variety of toxic metal sources such as cigarette smoke (cadmium), hair dyes (lead), hydrogenated oils (nickel), anti-perspirants (aluminum), dental amalgams (mercury).
HOW DOES THE PROCESS WORK?
The sampled hair, obtained by cutting the first inch and one-half of growth closest to the scalp at the nape of the neck, is prepared in a licensed clinical laboratory through a series of chemical and high temperature digestive procedures. Testing is then performed using highly sophisticated detection equipment and methods to achieve the most accurate and precise results.
HOW MUCH DOES HAIR ANALYSIS COST?
HTMA (Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis) Human
Multi-Element Assay of Hair (36 Elements)
$198.95 plus GST
• Copy of Test Results
(graphic illustration of levels and ratios)
• A complete individualized evaluation and detailed discussion of the patient’s metabolic type, current mineral levels and ratios, and their impact upon body chemistry.
• Recommendations of specific foods and food groups, along with an explanation of why each food is suggested.
• Supplement recommendations based upon age, sex, metabolic type, mineral patterns and specific need as seen on the tissue mineral analysis and other accompanying clinical test data.
•Multi-Element Assay of Hair (36 Elements)
We also do Hair Analysis on Dogs and Horses. See our Pet Care page for more information.