The winter holidays call for comfort and a lot of excessive eating and feasting! Fear not, it is easy to enliven your table with healthy seasonal dishes that will add color and a festive note to your holidays. Brussels sprouts are the star of the show this winter. They are packed in vitamins and fiber, can be eaten shredded raw in a slaw, grilled, stir-fried or steamed! We like to keep some of that flavor and crunch and stir-fry them with green beans and red kale. This dish is versatile, can be enjoyed with some rice or as a side dish to your mains.
Brussels Sprout, Kale & Green Bean Stir Fry
[ Serves 2-4 ]
- 14 oz green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 14 oz Brussels sprouts*, cleaned and sliced in half
- A generous handful of red or purple kale, cleaned and stems removed
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sumac
- A pinch of salt
* Blood type O non-secretor can swap brussels sprouts with broccoli for a superbeneficial!
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the Brussels sprouts with a little salt and the sumac and stir vigorously for about 5 minutes. Add the green beans and keep stirring for another 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- In the same pan, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the kale leaves with some salt and stir until they crisp up. Add them to the vegetables.